Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bags... of the tossing variety


Enough for 4 orange, 4 navy bags
and an extra of each color
 The debate can rage on whether the game is "Cornhole" or "Bags" depending on if your east or west of the Illinois/Indiana state line, but what you're tossing is pretty standard.  The rules call for 6" squares of duck cloth filled with 1 lb of whole kernal feed corn each. 

The concept is simple: create small pillows- sew around the edges, turn them inside out, fill with corn and stich closed.  At first I thought I would fold over the opening and sew shut but when I did one I didn't like that it created a stiff edge on one of the sides of the bag.  I ripped it out and considered an invisible hand stitch that would have probably looked the best, but I doubted that it would hold up through such rough use.  I settled on zigzaging it closed.  I think it looks nice and should hold up without making one side too much different than the others.

I put together a set in the colors for U of I the alma mater of my husband and his brother.  We were able to play with them at my brother-in-laws graduation party this past weekend.  I think they turned out pretty well!


Finished navy bag, zig zag stitch closure looks
nice and will hopefully hold up to years of tossing.


No comments:

Post a Comment